Monday, October 20, 2014

I Met the Mexican Elvis

Yes, it is true. you know how you hear those stories of people praying
after a long day of hard work and they find that golden investigator.
That didnt happen but we did pray to find someone and guess who we
stumbled into? We knocked on the door of a typical mexican home.
Covered in tomato plants, Christmas lights and a ford truck sat humbly
in the gravel driveway. We knocked nearly knocking the 'merry
Christmas' sign off the door. But we hear a rumble inside and what
emerged nearly brought tears to my eyes. A short plump man clad in
purple tight slacks with a mullet and a t-shirt that said 'Aurora
Football' and 'Go Houn Dawgs' on it. His clothes too tight, his mullet
to perfect and his sandals and socks combo too original. This Hispanic
man was Elvis it must have been. I was overwhelmed and I mumbled a
typical spanish door approach and we set up another appointment, I
will let you know what becomes of the Mexican Elvis.
I also me the inventor of chalupas. She probably has the greatest
story of rags to riches I have ever heard. She could have a movie made
about her.

We walked into a trailer park and we were both tired all of the
sudden. I was just pooped. So we sat down outside a woman's home and
discussed with her the Restoration. I was overcome with absolute
exhaustion and was lost in the void of spanish words not understanding
a lick of it, my companion later informed me he was having difficulty
teaching as well. But i prayed and asked for strength and to have the
Spirit with us. Nearly immediately, we both grasped the conversation
and taught. The Spirit was there and we taught with divine help. At
the end we both felt pretty good and Elder P invited her to be
baptized, she said yes. We don't have a date but it was awesome.

We had an exchange this week so I was on my own to teach people in
Spanish and I was with the zone leaders. No pressure, right? Wrong. We
met these people who said they attend a church called the Light of the
World church. They also believe in a restoration, really quite
interesting. But I was nervous to teach them alone, but I prayed and
asked to get help to know what they were saying and speak well. And
like it says, ask and ye shall receive, I did. I spoke and she
understood and her daughter was there to translate for us. How
awesome, she had so many good questions and I felt God's power helping me.

I know that this Gospel is true and anyone that wants to know it as
well can just ask Heavenly Father and know.

Elder Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment