Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Plight of a Spanish Speaker in Missouri


Colloidal Silver ~ He describes this "cure for all" in his Dec. 1st post.



I will set the scene. As a Spanish missionary, your trainer helps you
develop an eye for Hispanics. You are cultured to look for them
subconsciously. Every time I see a house with a mop in front of it I
immediately begin to go into Spanish mode, craving carne asada and
Mexican Coca-Cola. So we were passing through a trailer park. It is
raining so my vision is blurred and it is frigid so my wits are not
entirely about me. I see off in the distance a darker skinned woman
doing laundry in the cold, or in other words, pulling frozen clothes
off this string that hung between the two trailers. I yelled into the
wind in Spanish how are you, to which she responded with a welcoming
wave. I asked her if she needed help, in Spanish yet again, to which
she nodded. This is unheard of. Hispanics are an independent people.
Even if they were dangling off the edge of a cliff holding on to a
vine by their teeth they still wouldn't ask for help, (and not because
of their inability to speak due to the vine in their mouth). They know
how to work and do things by themselves. So, I was very excited to go
give some service. I walked closer asking in Spanish how everything
was and things of that nature to which she just stared at me.
Something was off, but I wasn't sure. then I asked the key question;
"Habla espanol?" This is an essential part of the conversation that I
had forgot. She just looked at me and said, 'I am not Hispanic. I am
from the Philippines." So, this the Plight, finding Hispanics in a
world that is increasingly more diverse and English speaking. (But it
turned out she was a member so it was ok.)

Even though, we do experience our challenges and disappointments on
our missions we do experience many encounters with the help the
Atonement offers. I have felt His help this week in greater amounts
than I have previously in my life. It might not always be the way we
expect, the help for me came in the form of an opportunity to cut wood
in the cold like a lumberjack in New England.

I am grateful for your prayers and I hope you are all doing well.

Elder Thomas
Excited about the price of gas!

No comments:

Post a Comment