Monday, December 29, 2014

Nerf Battles



The members of this Church are very kind. Some believe that when
missionaries leave their homes and are in the mission field during
Christmas, their families forget about them, which isn't true but is
probably one of the greatest blessing of being a missionary. Every
member gave us food and gifts here for Christmas. They are very kind
and we, in turn, are quite fat.

Christmas began with the Blanca family, where Santa had left us gifts
of candy and hot chocolate. We spent the morning playing chess and
watching my favorite movie of all time Frozen.  This family's father
is in Mexico right now and they had several children that the English
Elders had been teaching for some time. We retired to another member's
home where Santa had left us Nerf guns which is one of the more
questionable moves Santa has made in his career. I believe it is
called by some to be a 'career ruin-er'. We grabbed the guns and were
immediately bombarded with bullets from above at the hands of their
toddler. A fire erupted in the eyes of Elder Powers as he was shot
several times in the face, a fire that I had only seen on one other
occasion. He grabbed the new gun and trampled over their other child
and told us to follow him. A battle ensued with much carnage and many
wounds were delivered. The toddler named Justin was specifically
targeted by myself and elder Powers. (Cruel? Maybe. Did he deserve it?
Yes. Is that Christ-like of me to do? I plead the Fifth.) I managed to
escape with nothing but a bullet to the eye. It was awesome and very
enjoyable.

We went to visit Tony on Christmas Eve. He is always so inspired to
stop smoking when we talk with him but when we saw him he was kind of
drunk and just ended up hugging us. I felt bad, like we hadn't taught
him well, but them I remembered earlier on in the week. We taught him
another commandment, and neither of us were sure why. He wasn't
appearing to having any issues with it but when we brought it up he
said that he had been struggling with it. The Lord is in charge and if
we listen to Him our lives will be better. I am really trying to do
that. My mission president said be obedient and work hard and watch
the miracles. I am trying really hard, and hope that my efforts will
suffice. I know the Lord will carry them the rest of the way, because
He has carried me.

Thank you for your prayers and continue to send them my way and in the
direction of the people I am teaching. I know the Lord will hear you
and me and bless us and those that need help.

Merry New Year,
Elder Thomas
The Nield Family had the Elders over on Christmas Eve to make gingerbread houses.


Sister Nield said they didn't get one serious photo of  Elder Thomas the entire night. :)


Ian called this ~ "The Rule Breaker"
The great people of Aurora who take care of the Elders.



Ian was surprised with our gift - A replacement Lego watch to the one that broke before he left home.



Mom's best Christmas gift this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment