Monday, April 13, 2015

The Tulsa Transit Experience: Bus Day



Join me in singing to the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas, the 12 Events of Bus Day, singer discretion is advised. 
"Oh this absolute crazy bus day we saw some crazy stuff!
12,000 discs of Hispanic praise music
11 stones a skipping
10 of the month
9 Hispanics in a truck
8 spokes of Buddhism
7 miles by foot
6 used needles
5 YEARS TO LIFE
4 ruptured spinal discs
3 bus rides
2 missing toes
and a Buddhist research scientist with a cerebral diagnosis!"
Now to explain. Remember my black eye? How could you forget? Well, I started getting head aches and light headed again. So after a call to Sister Shumway I went to the doctor and after a retelling of the epic tale, the nurse shuffled away and brought in the doctor who again wanted to hear the story. Upon telling it he said one thing after doing a lot of "hmm"s and readjusting his glasses: "Vertigo." Well that is the intro to Bus Day. 
12- A Hispanic man began to sing to us after a little small talk. He informed us he is a singer for his church. I love Hispanic music and so being sung to by this 65 year old Hispanic man was sweet.
11- In order to make it to Dinner aka Wendy's we decided to take a short cut, across a canal/rain water drainage thing. We were starving so we didn't entirely think it all the way through. As I hopped from wobbly concrete chunk to the next, I saw my life pass before my eyes and the water rage beneath my feet. The sea was angry that day my friends and it almost got Elder Jones, but that is partially his fault due to the fact that he was attempting to do his daily video blog at the same moment that he was trying to hop from place to place.
10- Self explanatory, 10th of April, sorry for no cool story.
9- As, we waited for the last bus to take us home, we heard the squealing tires of a truck. We looked yonder and beheld a truck with four people in the cab and five in the back of the truck. It was a peculiar sight but they all seemed like it was just another normal Friday coming back home from work.
8- We walked down the road and an American woman asked us if we needed water. It was unexpected and kind so we talked with her. She then after some dialogue and stories, she proceeded to explain Buddhism, in it's entirety. I was very grateful that I took Art History so I could add to the conversation. However, due to my lack of food, other nutrients and rest, I mixed basically everything I learned about religion in one and regurgitated something that would have been better directed to anyone other than Buddhists.
7- We walked that far. Ouch, I still feel it in my legs.
6- An intricately designed velvet bag was on the ground. I pointed it out to my companion who inquired further. He looked in it and found some illicit drug paraphernalia. 
5- We witnessed an arrest next to the local Beauty Salon and, due to my extensive knowledge of justice and the law, it was apparent that the sentence would be five years to life. 
4- We taught a less active boy who loves soccer, but his neighbor came over which he didn't like. I looked and saw murder in his eyes as he suggested that the neighbor boy be goalie. The goalie turned just at the moment the ball propelled itself directly toward his kidney and spinal column area. When the ball made contact with his frail body, a shriek arose from the field and awoke people in Iceland and he was thrown to the ground. No diagnosis has been made but I imagine he'll be ok.
3- We only took the bus three times this whole day but have stories for millennia to come.
2- We waited for our bus and began to talk with a man who was wearing a medical boot. He told us that he got two toes amputated. I tried to continue the conversation but he couldn't hear hardly anything, so the conversation stopped there.
1- The woman who told us about Buddhism also informed us she was a Neurologist. Before we left, I asked her professional opinion about my 'vertigo'. After asking a variety of interesting questions she made a diagnosis and advised that I get an MRI. It was only after that, when she told us she was just a research scientist. So, Mom don't worry.

It was an interesting week, vertigo and all, but I love doing this. It makes me happy to be helping others. I was feeling discouraged and exhausted earlier on in the week, but as I worried about people, humbled myself and helped others know about the help that we can find in Christ my worries and vertigo vanished. It's incredible to feel His love for me and others so abundantly out here and I wouldn't trade it for anything.

Thanks for the prayers and support!

Elder Thomas   

No comments:

Post a Comment