Monday, April 27, 2015

Root Beer

This morning began and we played basketball. Some of the Elders had to change their laundry at someone's apartment so I volunteered to drive. Hunger had set in and it was only 9am, so I stopped by the local gas station to fill up on some artificial flavorings and high fructose corn syrup. I entered the small shack in search of a donut but what I found was much better. There at the top of a shelve sat a 124 oz. mug that you only see stereotypical truckers carry. After a moment of hesitation and a quick mental check of my financial status, I did what any thrifty conservative missionary would do and bought it. Brimming with root beer I sat down in the car and drove back to the church with the other Elder. By the time I reached the church it was half empty and about twenty minutes later I had 124 oz of root beer in my gullet. After this experience, I would highly advise all impulse buyers to avoid this at all costs.  

 Music is powerful. If you all recall my experiences with the bus day, (the 12,000 discs of Hispanic praise music), we met with the man again and he sang to us again. Even though he isn't of our faith I felt the spirit. Just his voice only among a myriad of horns, dog barks and obscure bug noises. I loved it. He told us to come back and learn how to sing with him some other time, because my voice resembles that of a dying emu or other flightless bird of lore. He has a strong faith in Christ. Even though he is a member of a different faith, we are all trying to follow Christ. I 'm glad that we do know how we can follow Him the best way and I pray everyday that we will be able to find people in search of how to follow Christ more.

Thanks for all you do for me and my family, I love you all!
Adios,
Elder Thomas 

P.S. (taken from a letter he sent to his dad)  We were walking in a trailer park next to a river, it could have been in Mexico, and I turned and saw a girl painting a door, I asked her in Spanish if she needed help, she looked at me like I was an alien and said in English no, but I walked over and asked if I could give her a card. I walked over and saw her family grouped around the car that I couldn't see before. The awkward situation became normal as we shocked them that we could speak Spanish but not only that but name almost every Spanish soap opera that all the Hispanics in the world watch. They were amazed, and long story short we have a lesson with them next Saturday. Elder Bednar said something like, we are a peculiar people, embrace it. And I have, I'm probably the most awkward guy around haha, but we try to talk to everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment