Monday, July 20, 2015

"And the Days Go By" ~ The Talking Heads


Yeah, a year out here is like a week at home. It feels like yesterday I was at Summit Academy talking about friends passing out in science class and what was due next in US History and now, I'm nearly 20, teaching English in T-Town and can't eat food without something as hot or hotter than a jalapeno. And the days go by. 

The Wedding that I was supposed to witness at happened but I was not a witness due to a relative attending. We didn't really know the family but in the past Elders and Sisters had changed their life and so we were invited. We sat in the Primary room, with the AC blowing but with no lasting effect, in a small crowd of maybe 15 others. The service was done by the Branch President in English and Spanish to accommodate the audience whose ethnicity varied from former member of the Confederate States of America to pura mexicana. As the President wiped his forehead for what had to have been the 53 time in the past 8 minutes, the couple said "I do" and "Si". It was the quickest Latter Day Saint service I have ever attended and one of the only ones that lacked the phrase, 'bless these brownies' in the closing prayer probably due to the fact there was no closing prayer. They drove over to their home to say that prayer. Although it was quick, the Spirit was their in some way or another for all in attendance.
      
I have a suggestion for everyone reading. Go to the nearest Hispanic Store. Wear an outfit much like the CIA or FBI would wear and then casually walk up to the cash register and state in Spanish quite loudly, that you will be starting an English Class and were wondering if they would like to join or if you could put up flyers in the store for it, then tell them that it is free. I promise you that every single person within ear shot of you will turn toward you and begin to ask "Where?". This was our experience a week ago. We took a lap in El Guanajuato and talked with every single person about our class. I felt kind of goofy running around in the little tienda, an onlooker outside of the store would probably have presumed that I had lost my marbles. But it was worth it and we hope to see the fruits of this bizarre task tomorrow at the next English Class.
    
This work is awesome and I have kind of lost myself in it. And I think that is the best way to do it, lose yourself and work for others. Christ will help us along and we'll find happiness. I have found true happiness and hope that I can help others feel it as well.

Gracias para toda su ayuda! Thanks for all your help!
Adios,
Elder Thomas      


No comments:

Post a Comment