Monday, July 27, 2015

When You're 15...

As we have all learned from the country turned pop super star Taylor Swift, 'when you're 15,' something happens. I cant actually remember the song because I never entered the country or pop music realm. But something occurs and two evenings ago I learned what that something is. In the Hispanic culture there is something know by many as a 'Quincenera'. It is essentially a celebration on reaching an age where a child becomes an adult. To us here in the United States, such an event would be know as a 'Sweet 16', but south of Texas they celebrate it a year prior at the age of 15. Once 15, the child, usually a girl, has a party. Now, imagine a sweet sixteen here in America. With such parties that I am accustomed to maybe 20 in attendance if a large gathering with a handful of snacks and pizza and maybe a movie. Take that idea and multiply it by 37. 


     Our Ward Mission Leader's daughter reached 15 and so he told us all to come because there would be food in abundance. Because no appointments were set and we lacked a dinner appointment and the missionaries next door were in the same boat, we went. We were unprepared for what we were about to see. The church parking lot was filling quickly as people filed into the church. We entered and bumped into a couple of members who heard about it. We entered the gymnasium and found what appeared to be the wrong place or it was one of those shows on TLC where they talk to some lady and give her a dream wedding. I was wrong either way. 

     We were in the right place. They had waiters, tables with food as far as the aged eye could see, a famous Hispanic DJ and a entourage of teenagers with more high school dramas problems than I did! The food was excellent, and it was great to talk with everyone in the peculiar 'royal wedding-esque' setting. Suddenly the lights turned down and the Prince Royce and other Hispanic jams came out. The space in the center of the gum soon filled with the teenagers. My dancing soul nearly took over, as I remembered dancing at high school day. My district leader who sat next to me, said in unison with me lets get out of here. We ran for the door and as we sprinted to the exit of the church, fighting against the urge to dance, i realized i was alone. I turned to find my district leader with his hand turning the knob of the gym door. Leaping like a snow leopard on an arctic seal, I pried his hands from the door and dragged him out of the building. With the other elders no where to be found, it was every man for himself and we just hoped they made it out alive. We stumbled to the car as the rigatone shook the church like it had presumably shaken two innocent missionaries who had just escaped its grasp. All in all a fun adventure.

     We taught the A family again and did it in form of a friendly game of Jeopardy. As the game came to a close and family tensions high I figured it would be good to leave on a spiritual note. The topic arose of praying about an answer. Humbly, the oldest girl said that she had been praying and looking for an answer. She said that she was still searching in words that brought me to tears. She was a humble searcher of the truth still looking. With tears in our eyes we promised her what her answer would be. Tonight we will be teaching them more about answers but I know that the Lord is preparing her. She's only 11 but she acts much older. It is a privilege to see the Lord prepare others and be part of it. I love this mission and the people who help us and the people that the Lord has allowed us to help. It is incredible and I would suggest that you all share this Gospel with everyone too. You'll feel joy and have a lot of stories. A lot.
     Thank you all so much for everything you do for me and my family. thank you for convincing Isaac to get a haircut a while back too. He looks really manly now and he is single too.

Adios,
Elder Thomas






No comments:

Post a Comment