Monday, September 8, 2014

The Turtle in the Shower and the Way to Distinguish a Mexican Home


My first full week in the field and many tales to tell. First off, there has been a war between the English Elders and us for the past few days. It started with a spider in the toilet and has reached points of insane attempts to scare the others. We put a turtle in their shower and are planning to find an armadillo and put that to use. These guys are really fun to talk to and have many tales of previous Elders in this mission that makes me excited to serve more and be with this mission.  The way to find Mexican homes in a sea of Americans is Christmas lights on the houses. Christmas lights, dead plants outside the house and upside down mops next to a sign that says, "este hogar es catolico."
 
I had a great experience this week with my knowledge of Spanish. A man told us a story of how he was converted and how he also got a scar on his head within the same story. I took them as the same story and ended up with the most incredible conversion story ever, but it was entirely untrue. I thought he got a TV thrown at him, he was on drugs and many other things. But what actually happened was quite different. So as I marveled at the faith of this brother and asked my companion questions about the story, my companion began to laugh and he told me what actually happened. So my Spanish is not that good but I still have a while to learn. But, I did get the TV part right!
 
It is very strange being in an environment like this. The area has four or five Spanish members and we are working to find others to teach. I am very bad at teaching, bad at Spanish and bad at working effectively. I don't really feel super productive here because we don't have a lot of people to teach. But none of us are good at everything. We are put in situations where our weaknesses are showcased so that we may be humble and learn to rely on Our Savior. We were talking to a Hispanic man who also spoke English and I felt like I should talk. I can't remember what I said but I said something and cried. Right there on the side of the road in front of this young Hispanic guy sitting on the hood of his car. He looked at me muy raro y dijo 'esta bien'. I know I have weaknesses; but I know that through the Atonement, through Christ those weaknesses can become strengths. Even though i probably only told this man two or three broken sentences, I hope that the spirit told him more. I have faith this is true and I have faith that someday I will be a better teacher, speaker, worker and representative of Christ.  
 
Thank you all for the prayers and support. I can feel the prayers you have said in my behalf and I can feel the strength of those that came before me on their missions as well. I love you all and until next week,

Elder Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment