Monday, September 15, 2014

"What am I doing?!" yelled the Samoan man

World's Largest Praying Hands ~Entrance to Oral Roberts University ~ 
Tulsa, OK


~

Another week in some place very different. We are teaching and searching for those interested in the gospel with my Spanish, or lack thereof.

We did something called Zebra tracking which is English and Spanish speakers together, which gave me a great opportunity to showcase my immense knowledge of Latin American culture and language. Upon finding the first house with Christmas lights, Elder Powers and I went up to the door. A mustached short Mexican stood there staring blankly at me. It was then that I realized I had to say something, so in my broken Spanish said, "We are missionaries with a message, have interest?" He looked at me and said, "No." But we didn't give up. So after a couple of English questions, blank stares and awkward silences, I just said, "Sorry, I have only spoke Spanish for a couple of weeks." So after he laughed he just said, "Otro dia." Hispanics are too nice and never just say beat it or get out, they say other day. So we failed, but now I have a story right? Hahaha, Elder Powers and I laughed and moved on. We gave a Book of Mormon to someone we know. He is Catholic and reads it when he feels down.  We told him to read it some more and he read all the way to Omni.  Wow, it was cool!  The Book of Mormon has a lot of power to it.

Today we went to Bass Pro. It is the headquarters of the institution and was larger than the city of Draper. It was huge, go look it up. they had everything there, guns, fishing stuff, camo everything, more guns, hats, shirts, more guns, more hats, more camo. they have more camo than I have ever seen in my life. But the nice guy that drove us into Springfield is a Samoan fellow with a heart bigger than Texas. He bought us breakfast and pie! He always laughs and is very very happy, always smiling and wanting to help out the missionaries and fill our stomachs. But as we left the area a travesty occurred. As we backed up, an elderly gent's car was in the way and we backed right into him. Expecting this joyful, always laughing and having a good time, Samoan to give the elderly man a pie or something I awaited his response. But as the elderly man exited his car, the Samoan exploded. He yelled out the window, "Are you gonna move or what?!" this joyful fellow had changed, but as he drove off he went back to being happy and bought us the best ice cream in the world, called Andy's.

Yesterday we read a version of the fourth missionary. It's called Consecrated Missionary or something similar to that by a man with the last name of McAlister. It is almost better than the fourth missionary and I cried while we read it.  These guys I'm with are great out here but I believe that we can be better and after reading that talk I decided that I will be a consecrated missionary no matter what. No matter what. And I am trying to do this, by trying to focus all my thoughts actions and words into something the Savior would think, do or say. And I know that He is willing to help me. I felt that as I read in that talk the words, (which I have read, heard and said many times.) 

"You are a representative of Jesus Christ." If we represent Him I believe that He will bless us and us that follow Him, He will bless them as well. I am sure it's different for you all, forgive me sometimes if I get too preachy at the end of these emails, but I will just end with this. I know it is true, and Christ lives and is willing to help us if we ask and are obedient. And if you don't know that or are questioning it, go ask. This life is short, so go ask! 

I love you all and love your prayers of support!
Gabe, Gavin, Isaac I love you guys!
Dad, I love you 
I love you Mom

Elder Thomas     

No comments:

Post a Comment