Monday, September 29, 2014

Happy Birthday to Elder Thomas!!! ~He titled this weeks letter ~ "Your dog is dead"



It's Ian's (Elder Thomas') Birthday this week!  19 years ago we were blessed to have Ian join our family.  He definitely keeps us smiling and always inspires us to be better. We love you Ian!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Yesterday, we went and spoke with a member. she cant read or write but listens to el Libro de Mormon en Espanol on discs. She has been relatively quiet most of the time but last night she opened up. She talked in Spanish about her dog and asked my companion if he had any waiting for him back at home. He said yes and was excited to see them in a couple of weeks. She looked up and said , "Your dogs are dead," her morbid sense of humorous conversing threw us completely off. I thought I misunderstood her, but when she began to laugh after I knew I understood her. Oh, and she is also the woman who introduced me to menudo. But we were laughing and continued our conversation about other stuff. The members here are sweet.  

There is a Spanish group at the English speaking ward.  They have their own meetings but we have to translate the Sacrament Meeting. We talk to all the members just about every day. There are only about eight or so of them but they all work in the Tyson chicken factory and can't come to church all the time. They hate the chicken factory because they just hang up the limp things by the legs on a conveyor belt for 14 hours. They are super nice.
    
     We are teaching a guy named Tony. He is really nice hispanic guy about our age, speaks English and is fairly busy so it is difficult to get in contact with him. This week as we were teaching him I said to prepare him for how he could find out for himself, "Now, we could just be make this all up, right?" Which he responded with, "But you're not." He told us he knew the Book of Mormon was true and his mom told us it was changing his life. He reads it whenever he feels down and says he can find something to help him out when he is down. This guy who has never been to church never fully read the Book of Mormon, never been baptized, told us he felt the spirit as he smiled during the whole lesson. I have seen so many people out here who are touched by the Spirit as they hear about Christ's church. This is a testimony to me that it is true. When the Spirit testifies its truthfulness to the people we teach it also testifies to me and is so strong. The spirit is always with us, is what one of my MTC teachers said, 24/7, even when you sleep. That is so true, the blessings of being out on my mission for just two months are incredible I cant even imagine what they will be in a year or at the end of my mission. 
Hey I love all of you and just have faith. Have faith in Him that knows you better than yourself.

Elder Thomas






No comments:

Post a Comment