Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Festivus for the Rest of Us!

Elder Thomas top row second over on left. OK, Tulsa Conference



I thought I would begin this email to my fellow friends of the faith
by wishing you all a very merry Festivus. (If you are ignorant in the
ways of this celebration I would invite you to inquire my family.) May
your day be full of many grievances aired and many feats of strength
displayed. Please watch that (Seinfeld) episode for me, family.

This week I had a one of those 'first' experiences. Like the first
time you drove or the first time you ate pizza. This week  was the
first time I was ever pulled over for shoplifting.

We were sitting in the car on an exchange with my Zone Leader,
(obviously something of this nature would happen to me as I was on a
important exchange.) looking through my planner, as a suspicious black
car pulled up along side of us. My Zone Leader said, 'I believe that
is a cop.' I dismissed the notion assuming the fellow with much more
experience and knowledge was trying to mess with me. But I looked up
out the window and saw the Aviator sun glasses and Magnum P.I.
mustache staring back at me. he put the car in reverse and came up
behind us, lights a blaring. Now, our car wasn't moving, yet, Doug,
the police officer, still turned on the lights. This decision, I
believe, was just to look cool or show off to the Hispanic on-lookers.
He came up next to us as sweat began to build above my brow. The Zone
Leader, said in his wisdom, 'Just act cool.' He obviously knew
something I didn't. The Officer came up to the window and said his
name was Doug Franklin, (or some other name that could easily be put
in any-given '70's cop tv show), with the Monet Police Department and
he needed my Drivers license. I gave it to him and heard an intercom
go off in his car, ".. the car belongs to the Church of Jesus Christ
of Latter Day Saints, I dont think they stole all that stuff from the
Walmart." Doug informed us of the misunderstanding and said someone
with Oklahoma plates driving our EXACT car had shop lifted at a
Walmart. Relieved, I left. It was later that the Zone Leader brought
to my attention that we were parked next to a No Parking sign. My
friends, the mercy of the Heavens above shown down on us that day.

All in all a good week. Thank you for the prayers and letters you send
my way. Y'all don't know how much they mean to me. I love you all and
wish you all a very Merry Christmas and Festivus.

Love,
elder thomas


Ian's mom (Rosemary) posted this picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment