Monday, May 11, 2015

A Spanish Lesson for Aspiring Spanish Speakers




Best Mother's Day gift ever!






A brief lesson in Spanish: If you are going to speak Spanish, speak Spanish and not a mix. We ate dinner with a woman for her birthday and I forgot her name when we all sang happy birthday in English so the dinner was a little tense, but their son had brought his new wife to be to the dinner and introduced her to the rest of his siblings and their families. His fiancée served in New York Spanish speaking and she understood what was going on at the table. But then, like a loud stomach rumble in the middle of an AP test she erupted with this phrase in response to a comment about birthdays: "Puedes tener like un trono o algo! es like tu cumpleanos!" If you notice, there are two English words there. These words were used multiple times throughout the rest of her dialogue. As muffled chuckles were heard from the corner of the table from the missionaries, the people that only spoke Spanish scratched their heads in confusion, but they got the point. But she spoke Spanish really well and I imagine she was a great missionary. Sorry for the judgments.   

Anyway, I had received a voicemail just after this dinner, a older lady on the other end mumbled, "Thomas, I'm in the hospital." Joanne, our favorite Abuelita in Tulsa, had a little blood problem and was admitted into the hospital. We dropped everything, everything being nothing because everything cancelled (The Lord is definitely watching over His servants so He can send them to help others.), and searched for the pie shaped room in the massive hospital where Joanne was. As we walked there, nurses that had helped Joanne looked at us and pointed to her room. We found her talking to the nurses about her 'boys' and she was wrapped in her OKC Thunder blanket. After talking for a minute about what happened she looked up at us and said joyfully, "I'm happy to see my boys," paused and said, "I need a blessing." It was a cool experience and she will be fine. The Priesthood power is real and it was a privilege to stand in place of Christ and help her. I love this gospel and am grateful that we can repent and work everyday to become more like our Savior. This mission and gospel has changed me and I am so blessed. I know the Lord is watching over my family while they've had a rough week by blessing them with their friends, family and the Spirit. Thank you all for taking care of them. I love you all!

Adios,
Elder Thomas

P.S.My Dad likes York mints and my Mom likes Dr. Pepper. Just a suggestion. haha   


A turtle and a frozen beverage waiting to call my family.

Arguable, the best 'get better soon' card I've ever seen in my life.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment