Monday, September 7, 2015

I'm a Country Boy



If you can't see video above, click on this link:


John Denver, a regular to Tulsa because his grandma lived here, said it better than anyone else. A lot about cakes on the griddles and playing fiddles. I never really saw a lot of either of those in Missouri but I am headed back there and am excited. I'm really sad to leave this land of taco trucks and big building and will miss the members here more than anything else. I have made a lot of friendships and memories here that will be with me forever. I know that I'll be back.

     I'm going as a District Leader to a land known by many as Carthage to others it is known as the location of the annual Marian Days to all the Catholic Vietnamese-Americans. From what I have heard, the locals leave and the Catholic Vietnamese-Americans come and sleep on their lawn. And while they sleep in the humidity, the Guatemalans go and work at the local chicken factory. I can't wait! It's relaxing to be away from the world as a missionary but in a more literal sense, the out-skirts of Missouri is pretty far away from the world.

      This week has been insane and was good preparation for life as a District Leader. We ran around and worked toward what our mission calls the Standard of Excellence, which is a mission-wide goal for the number of lessons and so on. We had slowly worked up to the goal these past few weeks and this week through a lot of prayer and fasting, we were on track. However, the adversary was not to pleased with our efforts. And in an attempt to stop us, many obstacles were placed in our path. Elder Williams and I while on an exchange had an interesting experience.

      He went with his companion to help a sister. I felt bad I missed their call but Elder Williams was on the scene. As we rushed there, I felt distinctly prompted to visit someone. It would take critical time but we went. We rushed to the door and breathless, I mumbled something probably awkward, but it didn't matter. The young man at the door spoke. He looked different than the visits before. Sunken eyes, pale face, he asked for a prayer. I later offered that we could give him a blessing. After the blessing, the atmosphere of the room changed. He looked completely different. We promised him help would come from his Father in Heaven. And then we ran off. 

     Everything with the missionaries was taken care of. The Lord knows His sheep and I'm glad I was able to help out in the way He needed me to. 




     It has been an awesome week. And I will let you all know how Missouri is. 

Adios
Elder Thomas      

No comments:

Post a Comment