Tuesday, October 13, 2015

How to Eat at a Member's Home: Lesson 43




The kind members in the area feed us often and well. Some have even taken the liberty of taking on the unconquerable task of fattening Elder Thomas. With many attempts and ward help, the task has never been accomplished. But this family we ate with feed us one of my favorites. Authentic tacos. I pounded probably 6 and then nearly passed out from all the salsa burning my insides and possibly causing internal damage. Now it might have been the tacos' fault or mine but this is what I said. The wife said that their daughter was going to BYU. Members here love that place. Without much thinking and with 20 years of hearing neighbors, associates and others insult the establishment I said with the hopes of getting a few chuckles, "My parents told me if I went there they'd disown me!" Needless to say, there weren't many laughs. The lesson learned: when eating with members do not insult their favorite college football team.


We taught the paper airplanes kids' Mom again. This time they were all jacked up on sugar and the 8 o'clock energy rush that comes to children usually before the crash. We struggled our way through the Plan of Salvation with the occasional little kids crying or screaming or throwing things at the other infant. I gained a much greater appreciation for those who serve in the Nursery. We wrapped up the lesson and finished the prayer we began to leave, exhausted to say the least. Just as we walked out the door the grandma ran towards us at full sprint and said, 'Don't leave! I made you all food!" Even though she didn't listen she made us all deep fried chicken, rice and beans. They were so very nice to us.

We taught a little woman and right in the middle of the lesson her little boy bolted out of the door and hugged the legs of my companion and I and then took off to do something else. I didn't understand but I think it was his way of approving us to talk to his mom. 
 
This week we got haircuts from a member. My fellow district members got theirs first and then as the joke usually goes someone asks, "Elder Thomas, why are you here you don't need a haircut, you're bald!" We joked about it for a while and after the husband of the family inspected my scalp he said, "Oh, it isn't that bad," but the wife spoke the truth: "Just accept it". They were a kind family and knew how to laugh. Just before we left, the husband left the joking realm and told me I was a good sport and that I was very kind and then said, "Some people think nice guys finish last. Nice guys don't finish last. They finish happy". 

Everyone has been so nice to me out here no matter the language they speak and all of you back at home and afar have as well. Thank you for all of your prayers and for being so nice to me. I know that as you are all examples to me of kindness you will all be happy. I love you all and pray for you! 

adios
Elder Thomas

Surprise Mom, Happy Birthday!  Thanks to the sweet people of his ward in Carthage!

        

No comments:

Post a Comment