Monday, October 19, 2015

My Claim to Fame









The days out here in Missouri are riddled with experiences that will be more fitting to share around a campfire in the some future day. For today, I will be explaining my claim to fame.

      The setting, a Stake Center in Monett Missouri. The occasion, a Stake Conference. The General Authority that was presided at the Conference was the newly called presiding Bishop Gérald Caussé. He was very kind, tall, and apparently spoke a handful of languages. He was giving a talk about the Sabbath Day and explaining his upbringing in the early church. 

     In France at that time, the church was young and the handful of members had a lot of responsibility. At one point in his preteen years, he even became the Sunday School President. It was very interesting. Then in explaining the history of Sabbath day observance in this dispensation, he attempted to show us the video of President Kimball announcing the combination of all Sunday meetings in one 'block'. Among the what appeared to be flawless planning for the arrival of a General Authority, someone was not assigned as the light man. There were ushers, people to pass a microphone around for testimonies, and the ever common tech man for videos. All the jobs were covered except one. The light man. 

     He began to play the video and everyone expected the lights to be extinguished. In most Mormon gatherings, that base is covered. But that night there was a moment to impress and I took it. I leaped from my seat and ran to the light box, knocking over a couple elderly attendees. Then I jumped for the lights and the job was well done. And that is my moment of fame at the Monett Stake Conference.

     Before leaving I saw in the crowd a group of familiar faces. I got closer and I recognized their voices and knew who they were. They were all from Aurora Missouri. They welcomed me with hugs and hand shakes and asked how I was doing. They were all my good friends and I had spent nearly 8 months with them and had been away from them for less than that. They are family and always will be. The joy I felt seeing faces long gone is something describable. When I was getting in the car to leave with the other missionaries I reached my arm up to wave to one of the elderly men I knew and he told me to keep him posted. I drove away feeling happier than I have in a long time. I laughed about old jokes and related stories forgotten. I thought abut how when we see those we have lost we will have a similar reunion. On those celestial shores we will hug and laugh with those we love. It made me happy to know that my family is eternal and we can joke together for the eternities.

     I love you all and I hope all is well. I pray for you all!

Elder Thomas  

No comments:

Post a Comment