Monday, November 3, 2014

Dollar General, or in other words, Walmart in its Paradisiacal Glory

"Guatamalan Village" ~ They love visiting the people who live here.  They are very friendly.






















Yes, it may seem hard to believe but Dollar General is incredible. I
went there last week on Preparation day and found a plethora of
discounted goods. So, naturally I had to buy them all. I bought a new
pair of camo shoes, $8, a card for Gavin $.50, and a bunch of other
useless stuff. I do slightly regret spending so much there but its
incredible. Utah should highly consider investing in one.

We had a Zone Meeting this week and Elder Packer came. Not President
Packer but his son, Elder Packer. And he had some inspiring words. But
as he introduced himself he showed us a picture of his family. He
introduced them all and then pointed to one in the back of the crowded
picture. "This guy is in Singapore," he said. It was my good friend
from Alta, Paul Gilman! (please excuse the spelling error.) He is
related to an Apostle and to Elder Packer, whoa. That was pretty cool.

We have been continuing to teach an investigator who has had trouble
with smoking named Tony. He is a good friend to me and you could say
we are pretty tight. He always is super motivated to overcoming
smoking and drinking when we are there but then falls back into it
when he is feeling sad, but I know he can make it. Yesterday, we went
with a member, he said, "I don't know all of what you're going through,
but I do know that these (my companion and I) guys are
representatives of the Lord and have been called by Jesus Christ to
help you." I don't know the effect it had on him but it hit me. I didn't
really ever think about it before like that, but it is true.

One of Tony's friends wanted to talk with us so we went to his house,
but when we go there he was just in his car. He told us to get in and
we could have the lesson in his car. It was a bit strange but we did.
He began to cry and said in Spanish that he felt alone. His whole
family lives in Mexico and his daughters and wife live there too. His
kids are very small and he was just sad. I felt really bad for him. We
told him about how this message could help him and at the end I asked
him if he would be baptized, it went something like this, in English:
"If you come to know it is true would you be baptized?" and then he
looked at me pushed his eyebrows up and opened up his eyes really wide
kind like when people get confused and just said, "What?" Shocked and
confused we explained a little bit more due to my premature
invitation. He said yes eventually. Never in my whole life did I think
that I would be sitting in a beat up Pontiac with a crying Hispanic
man while discussing baptism. The Lord puts us in places we never
thought we could go occasionally.

Here is a quote from my Mission President. He was saying that we can
all chose to be heroes or join Satan, happiness or misery, but those
battles between us and Satan aren't usually seen. He said, "Some of
the greatest battles will be fought in the chambers of our souls." Not
only is that good writing, it is also some great advice.

Thank you all for your prayers continue to send them my way and to all
the other missionaries as well, I love you all.

Elder Thomas








Missouri Sunset

Looks like the hare won the race!  Poor turtle....

No comments:

Post a Comment