Monday, November 24, 2014

The Pastor: Round 2 and the Miraculous 25 Pounds

Racing the Amish


So to begin, as some may recall, last week we had a run in with a
Pastor. Well, this week we went to talk religion with him. I mentally
prepared myself like I would for a swim meet, by singing the Rocky
theme song... in my head because I don't think it is approved, maybe
the theme song is but "Eye of the Tiger" is a little bit more
questionable. Anyway we went into his home and it was set up
perfectly. Not a strand of carpet was out of place. The man was either
a perfectionist or trying to impress/intimidate us. He had on his
coffee table three pictures of his family facing us. So we kind of had
to talk through these pictures, because he was sitting just beyond
them, it was really strange and I could tell something was up. We
asked if we could start with a prayer and after we said amen, he
began. The Pastor explained the origins of his religion as we tried to
bring the conversation back to the Restoration. It wasn't working. As
things came to a close, my humble companion made a Hail Mary with the
hopes to invite the Spirit and turn the Pastor's thoughts to our
message, Elder P said, "will you be baptized?" and the Pastor
chuckled, he said, "that is funny you ask, because I was wondering the
same thing, would you be baptized?" So as we left, feeling a little
bit like Rocky after he fights Hulk Hogan in Rocky IV, (I think) and
there was only one thing we could say "Well that didn't pan out."

As I have mentioned before I gained some weight in the CCM in Mexico,
but this past week I weighed myself again. I have some great news,
since I left home I have gained 25 pounds. Yes, my pants still all
fit, but I have noticed a slight difference. So, that's all there is
to say about that.

We stumbled into a kind woman this past week named N. She asked us
how old we were, we responded with 19 and 20. She sadly looked at us
and said we were way to young to be away from our mothers. Her husband
asked us a question that kind of struck me. He said "Do you think God
doesn't want you to talk with your families?" Oh man, Satan IS a
crafty one. I didn't know what to say, so I played the "I can't speak
Spanish very well" card, that always works well. Haha, but Elder
P said we just devote all our time to the Lord. N wasn't
having any of that, she was just shocked. I gave her Mom's number and
said that she could talk to Mom about it. She called and it sounded
like it went well.

We had taught this kid named J once. When we came back we asked if
he prayed, he said he had and knew there was only one true church.  I
asked which one and he just pointed at my badge and said "that one". I
was overwhelmed. But not five seconds later his dad came out and told
us he couldn't be baptized. It was so sad. We went back to teach J
again and apparently we had misunderstood his dad, his dad told us
never to come back. I was so sad. I had this feeling that he would
remember the truth and find it again someday. I am glad we had the
chance to know him and plant the seeds of truth in his mind.

I heard an interesting view of the Atonement this week. A woman said
this upon looking at a painting of Christ in the garden of Gethsemane;
"He prayed for all of us." I have never really thought about it like
that, but He did.

I love you all.
Elder Thomas
Blood splattered door
Lookin' stylin'

No comments:

Post a Comment