Monday, June 22, 2015

Familiar Faces and a Fire


 Elder Williams is my new companion, but you probably know him as Riley as did I. It is taking some serious concentration to get the name change in my mind. I'm excited to serve with a familiar face. Now the fire...
    
 My last companion loved deep fried chicken. He made it quite often. To make this, one must use a large amount of oil. Now, as many well know, oil is EXTREMELY flammable. Extremely. It just so happened that a couple of drops of oil had dripped down the side of the pan and into a corner of the stove top every time he cooked it. Apparently, there was a build up. 
   
Elder Williams, first morning in the new abode, fancied some hard boiled eggs. I was casually catching up on some reading of the Ensign as the warm Oklahoman air came through our windows. I looked back to see how the cooking was coming along and Elder Williams had his back to the eggs and was washing his hands. But just as I looked back the bottom of the pan ignited. The build up of oil was lit and we both ran over to it and stood next to it for a few moments trying to recollect our days of cub scouts. The flames rose above the pan and I remembered what to do. I grabbed the tortilla mix we had and threw it all over the stove. Flames poking up around the sides, I dumped more out until our whole apartment was full of smoke and 'Maize'. Contrary to common belief, young elders are not inherently foolish and forgetful, and that was not the cause of this close call. The culprit was a the oil. It was not our fault, Mom. I promise that we are all ok and no damage was done.
    
The people here love missionaries and I have never understood why. In church we learned. In Elder's Quorum, they spoke of sacrifices. Someone brought up the topic of feeding the missionaries is sometimes a sacrifice. Then another said that it is worth it because when you feed the missionaries it is like giving the Savior food. I had never realized how much these people loved us. It is the entire Hispanic culture here. We had many experiences this week where complete strangers gave us food and shade from the heat in their homes. The people here are an example to me of how the Savior would act. 

I prepared myself for the Sacrament this week much more than I used would. As I took it, I felt immediate peace and strength. After I felt the Spirit more and more, I felt it in gospel principles as we talked about the gift of the Holy Ghost. I think I'm going to prepare like that more often. 
Vintage Ian
    
We have a baptism this week of a member's step-daughter who is 9. It was going to be her and her two older sister but they didnt feel ready, but "V" did! I have never meet someone more excited to be baptized! I cant wait for this Saturday!

I love you all and thank you deeply for your prayers.

Adios
elder thomas      

No comments:

Post a Comment