Monday, June 1, 2015

Futbol

   
A year ago this week.......




 We are teaching a man named Pedro and his wife K. They have been taught for a while now and every lesson we have is quiet spiritual, so one may ask, 'what's the issue?'. Church. They haven't come. (The adversary will occasionally use the 'more sleep' card to cause a myriad of sins and transgressions.) So, in ward counsel we presented an idea, futbol. We planned it out with a ton of interest from ward members and a hint of hesitation from the branch president. Then the day arrived. 


     Tuesday, futbol night. I had been training for at least twenty minutes and was ready to roll. With my dress socks on and my mexico soccer jersey a little stinky I walked into the gym and was greeted by some serious futbol players. The ward members had traded in their dress shirts for jerseys and their friendly countenance for a competitive grin that only suggests the breaking of some rules from the Missionary Handbook. From deacons to high priests the members were ready, and the games began. To be short in writing, it was ridiculous. There were a couple near death experiences and I was pathetic. I will stick to swimming. 

     However there was a glimpse of hope on my team. A wild ball was kicked in my direction and the score was 3-0. Losing and having flashbacks of my last attempt, black eye and all,  I took control of the ball. A less active ran at me with fire in his eyes. I winced and threw my leg in the general direction of the ball. The crowd went silent and the ball flew forward. Passing defenders and the crowd it flew toward the goal. The crowd now on their feet, the goalie jumped to defend. The ball nicked his fingers and bounced into the goal. The crowd erupted and began to cheer for the missionary who moments before was nearly ejected from the game for causing two own goals. It was one of my proudest moments thus far in my life. (Just kidding)

     We cleaned up the game and looked for Pedro and K. They never came. We went over last night and Karen began to cry as we spoke of baptism. She said this message has changed her life. Their lives are changed but their work continues to get in the way. 

     On the other side of town 1 hour later, we taught C and A. He asked us what he needed to do to be baptized! And A, after working in an old folks home with many patrons passing away, asked for scriptures to make her happy! There are many types of people we teach but no matter who it is, they can all come closer to Christ. We can all, and I have been trying to more this week. As we come closer to Him we will come closer to us and we will see His hand more in our lives. It has been awesome to see those blessings flood us this past week as we have trying to hit some high goals! 
I love you all and hope all is well!
adios (emphasis on the a)
Elder Thomas




No comments:

Post a Comment