Monday, June 15, 2015

Horchata

"Lunatic reading Cat in the Hat" ~ Ian




And thus begins a tale of misery and woe.


     We decided to go to the local flea market. The place was full of anything you could think of, from fresh fruit to Hispanic fashions. A couple of weeks ago, our neighbor asked us if she could borrow our blender, I said sure and then never saw it again. Due to the lack of a blender in our apartment because of that slight miscommunication with our neighbor, I began our search of one. They were priced well and "guaranteed" to work. After some bargaining and bartering I left many stands empty handed and but with my planner full of people that would be interested in hearing the good word on another occasion. After all the exploring and talking I grew thirsty and a large taco stand and a crowd of people enjoying horchata were placed in my path. I approached the stand with the intent of purchasing one. The two girls running the stand were listening to whatever the junior high girls are listening to these days and said it was two bucks for a large. In response to my question how big is the large they held up a reasonably sizable styrofoam cup, and I said the large. The one they handed me was at least double the size of the one I saw. Not thinking much of it I went on my merry way. It was only until later that my companion pointed out some of the details of the encounter that led us to believe that the junior high girls were attempting to flirt with me. Kind of freaked out and tired from walking around in the sun all day we left. I put the half full mega-horchata in the back of the car and was going to get it just after, but totally forgot.Then I remembered as I opened up the back door open to get my bag. The entire rear of the vehicle and some of its contents were horchata-ed. Now Mom, don't worry because we cleaned it up pretty good. Only one thing got it pretty good and that was the back of my suit coat. I dried it out in a parking lot and scrubbed the rice milk out of it using an Avengers towel we had and a whole bunch of half used water bottles. That night we attended a Stake Conference meeting and unbeknownst to me, President Shumway and Sister Shumway were in attendance. I spent the entire evening hiding the back of my suit coat. It was particularly difficult when we came and gave me a hug. But all was well.

     We got a call and Elder Williams is coming here! Elder Williams as in the Elder Williams that I've known since 3rd grade. I'm really excited!

     P and K  have a new baptismal date. We had a really spiritual lesson with them last night. We expressed out love for them and said they needed to come to church. At the end they prayed and promised that they would be at church. It was powerful. 

     This week was difficult to start. I felt overwhelmed and discouraged as we had much to do, but as we prayed and worked hard we were blessed with that incredible lesson with P and K and many other blessings. Focusing on the Lord helped me a lot and is one of the only things we can do when times get tough. Christ is always there to help us.. Always.  


I love you all! Que Dios les bendiga!

Elder Thomas
Oklahoma Tulsa Mission "Only True Mission" (Oklahoma Tulsa Mission)
changing to Arkansas Bentonville Mission

Selfie with a Buffalo

He called this... The Progression of an Elder Thomas

One of our boys favorite words....inside joke.

A Day at the Zoo

Ian said if you find the issue in this photo you win!
Your clue is that the white thing is a used diaper next to the rock. Yuck!

He used his hand to give size reference to show how big the turtle is.

Bumpsticker found at a Bazaar


No comments:

Post a Comment