Monday, November 30, 2015

Kool Aid of Death



Mom moment: We are grateful to the Starks family who had Ian and Elder Marques over for Thanksgiving dinner.  They were very kind to send us pictures of the festivities. Ian doesn't mention it, but they have 2 baptisms this weekend. Please keep him and those they teach in your prayers.  Ian and his companion, Elder Marques, would love to hear from you this Christmas season. 1631 Buena Vista Avenue Carthage, Missouri 64836 
~~~~~~~~~~~


It all started with an exchange we had. Our good friend Elder Marques went to the land of Cassville, (or in other words, the place where I got kicked in the head and got a real bad black eye), and another missionary joined me here in Carthage. It was rainy and we had to bike due to mileage restrictions to our car.

We skidded to a halt near the home of a family we would be teaching and were greeted by a middle aged Mexican man. He was dressed in the fanciest clothes and rings that the local Hispanic stores provided. He waved and told us 'Que Dios les bendiga' and wanted to talk. We spoke with the kind gentleman who expressed his gratitude for young people spreading the Word. Then in broken English he attempted to talk to the both of us about the real deal with religion. He said religion was a wall men put up and all you needed was a belief, and then he challenged me pray and see what God wanted me to do. I saw it coming from a mile away. He finally gave up on English and focused his whole lecture at me. What he said was true though. He said, "Thomas," as he got uncomfortably close to my face and I backed up, "do you know that God is writing down every single word we say right now?" I agreed and tried to testify what I knew. He practically pleaded with me to change and I did the same to him. We left inviting him to do everything we could and he did the same. I felt bad for him and I knew he felt the same. 

Then came a discovery. My companion for the day found one of the English Elders half gallon jug of Kool Aid. The sugary substance was too good to lose and so we drank a bunch of it. Fast forward two days. The owner of the Kool Aid and myself are infected. Two days later still infected with a gnarly headache. The lesson learned: Don't drink sketchy sugary Kool Aid.

I love you all and appreciate your prayers and support you send my way! 
Adios
Elder T




homas

No comments:

Post a Comment