Monday, December 7, 2015

Tender Mercies that Prevented a Mental Breakdown


We watched E get baptized and confirmed this week. Both ordinances brought an inordinate amount of problems provided by the pitchfork wielding being, bifurcated tailed devil himself. I thank those who planned my baptism many years ago and overcame whatever peculiar problems arose. E's family was in attendance at the baptism and afterwards provided lots of food. I hope they felt the Spirit as well. The confirmation the following day had its far share of problems but it all went well. 

I looked back and thought how much work I had put into two simple activities that took less than 3 minutes combined. But after some comments and thoughts that were brought to my mind, I realized how much the Lord did for those brief minutes to run smoothly. 

     There were three really cool things that if someone didn't point them out they would've easily be taken for granted but all were essential. 

     The first was at the baptism. We had no piano player and it was looking like I was going to have to do it. Luckily I had my hymn book with easier hymns and so I began to practice. I did for just a few minutes and then I had to do ten other things. There was no time to practice. Then out of the avalanche of Hispanic family members and children that entered the room a voice asked me if they needed a piano player. I turned around to see a member of the ward who I had forgotten we invited. I said yes and she played for us in a time when we desperately needed her. 

     The second was on Sunday morning. A whole bunch of Elders that taught E, came to the confirmation along with another friend from Tulsa who I did service for. It was great to see all of them, but then came the call. "Hi, we aren't coming to church today," said the niece of E. After a slight freak out, I calmed myself down enough to ask more details. Their car couldn't bring E to the church. We frantically called members and a brother in the ward told us he could do it. He brought her with impeccable timing and she was confirmed. Later, he apologized for not coming to the baptism. I learned that his car had a faulting ignition but miraculously, he was able to fix it that Saturday during the time of the baptism.

     The third is the smallest. They announced E's name and we all came to the front. I walked up and suddenly realized that we might not have a chair for her to sit on and we might have to kick the deacons off the pews for a second. But with the Bishopric and organist sat an out of place folding chair which the Bishop brought down with him. 

     I don't know what prompted the member to come to the baptism, I have no idea how the other member fixed his car coincidentally on the day before the baptism and most strange of all I don't know how the chair appeared on the stand, but they were all little answers to prayers that helped others receive the Spirit in their lives and helped a 20 year old missionary from having a complete mental breakdown. The Lord is really with us in the work and we don't have to do it all alone.

     Thanks for everything and the prayers!

adios
Elder Thomas


No comments:

Post a Comment