Monday, December 14, 2015

Age Misconceptions and Motivational Speakers

Elder Henderson's mom and Jeff are cousins.  

Carthage Zone

We send him a Charlie Brown Tree...

Perfect quote for the Pizza loving Elder Ian!

We had a Zone Conference with Elder Foster of the seventy come and speak to us. When we arrived a rather tall fellow missionary ran up and gave me a hug. Assuming  he assumed I was someone else I said hi and then took off to save my seat. Later during dinner, I saw him again and he said my name and asked me if I knew who he was. I really had no idea but then in my minds eye I made him a foot shorter and realized he was my second cousin! It was awesome to see him there serving in my same mission. 

     Elder Foster showed us a video about the universe. I thought that it was just something cool he saw on the Discovery Channel but he told us to think about how much Heavenly Father loves us as we watched it. I don't remember it exactly but I'll try to explain. The Hubble telescope can see into space some crazy number of light years and can show us some really interesting finds in space.  One day scientists got bored of the same old stuff and out of curiosity decided to point it at a place where they couldn't see anything, no stars, no planets, nothing. After spending many hours and resources just getting the massive multi-million dollar telescope to point over there, they let it absorb the light for a couple of weeks. When they got the picture it showed in the nothingness millions of galaxies in deep space. They had no idea what was out there but they found more than they had thought existed . Each speck, and there were millions of them, on the picture was a galaxy like our own harboring billions of stars and trillions of planets. They called it the the most humbling picture they had ever seen. I sat amazed and Elder Foster asked, 'Do you feel small now?" He pointed out others in the scriptures that had seen things similar to that and they learned that they were children of God. Pretty incredible to think that the Creator of all those billions of stars and galaxies will listen to our prayers when we lose our iPhone. He taught that God loves us.

     Later that week, none of the people we invited came to church. In fact, none of the Spanish speaking members came. The sacrament was about to start and I prayed to ask if these people we invited, would remember what we said and feel the Spirit. I thought there might be more I could do, but heard some words. You have done enough and now I can do the rest. Right after the words came to my mind, a member that hadn't come for some time showed up just in time for the sacrament. I took the Sacrament and cried. When it ended, I heard the door open up behind us and saw another family from the Spanish group come in. They sat down behind us with the other member. I knew God had done it all. Then out of no where came an investigating family who told us they weren't coming to church. And they came and sat down with the other members. I am sure we are Heavenly Father's first priority and He will always help us when we ask Him.

Thank you for the help and support, I love you all!

Elder Thomas     

No comments:

Post a Comment