Tuesday, December 29, 2015

'Twas the Night Before Christmas



 When you hear the word 'Christmas' you imagine snow, ice and freezing temperatures. However this Christmas was one with sun and temperatures you would find in the Caribbean. It was my first Christmas like that and possibly preferable above a Christmas with snow. We went to a members home and played volleyball for hours and then had some Christmas themed games. The competitive side of me was activated and I was aiming to win. The best of the 4th annual Christmas games was speed gingerbread house making. With the materials provided, teams had to build a home in less than 15 minutes and the judges would then judge upon the level of creativity. With the timer begun, my team sped off beginning to build the walls and roof of what became a rectangular cube like structure. With a basic structure in place, we all paused and thought about what it should become. Then came a blurt of excitement from across the table, "It's a trailer in a trailer park!" We created something that would rival any sculpture in any museum across the globe. Complete with burning trash pile, a satellite on the roof, hidden liquor under snow, outhouse with cable TV, and truck missing head light and tail light, the trailer was complete. ( I will include pictures.) We obviously won.


     It came to a close and one of the English Elders sang some songs with his guitar. He sang some Christmas hymns and they invited the Spirit. From where I sat, I looked outside into the dark and there was a street light above the road. It was one of the only things out on this back country road. It reminded me of the new star that signaled the birth of the Savior. Later on that night I thought about how many years ago the Savior's first night on the Earth was spent in a manger, and I slept in a warm house. I am grateful for what He did for me and what He was willing to do for all of us. 

     We went caroling a few nights before Christmas and I have never seen so many doors opened to us. With every person we talked and sang with, we shared a moment to think about the Savior together and that is one of the greatest blessing in the world. It was an experience I will never forget. He suffered for all of us no matter our religion or race. When we talk with others who share the belief in His sacrifice and love for us, we will all be blessed.

     Thank you all for the gifts and support! I love you all!
Love,
Elder Thomas    
 photo credit for all Christmas photos - Starks family
The Starks made Christmas Eve a fun and memorable night. 





they found pictures of the boys on Facebook when they were little boys and made them into puzzles. 

 This is a photo that Sister Starks posted, it is their High School football field.


No comments:

Post a Comment