Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Turkeys


   

 This week, my companion came up with the idea of making dinner for a family who didn't have much. I thought it was a good idea but then second guessed it as we were at our apartment coming up with ideas on how one should cook a turkey. After determining that the turkey would be better prepared in the hands of a professional, we recruited the help of a recent convert friend, Lupita. We asked her if she could teach us how to make one. She looked puzzled but called her Mom. Her Mom, a non member and one of the nicest ladies I know, told us to bring it to her house and she would cook it. It is no easy or convenient task to cook a turkey and this woman said yes like it was something she would do any other day of the week. It took her hours to make it and we thanked her every place we could. She told us, you serve us so much and so I can do my little part. And then even when we took the turkey to our car another family member showed up, also not a member, and she gave us a cake and soda to take to the family! We tried to do service for a family and ended up being served ourselves. We took the turkey over to the family and they were very happy. The neighbor kids were over along with a cousin or two and they all devoured it. 


     We visited E this week. She explained some challenges she is experiencing and then she explained how much the Gospel has blessed her life. She thanked us for helping her. I thought about how we are weak instruments but the Lord uses simple means to bless us all.  
     I feel so grateful for being able to spread this Christmas message everyday. It isn't something reserved for the time between Thanksgiving and New Year's but something to be celebrated every day and every moment. We renew a covenant to always remember Him every week. But I am so grateful for this time we have to remember to serve others and be grateful for the knowledge we have of our Redeemer. And I do know that He lives and I am so grateful for Him and for what He has done.

I love you all and wish you a Merry Christmas

Elder Thomas  







No comments:

Post a Comment