Monday, June 6, 2016

Tostado

Here in Arkansas there are a lot more opportunities to do service. Yesterday, an older member of the ward from Argentina told me that I looked tostado, or in other words, toasted. The day before we helped her mow her lawn and she told me I was really white. Immediately she brought me a giant sombrero she got in Texas. However it was of no avail. After a week of the summer sun and more time doing service, I am now the proud owner of the sweetest farmer tan you have ever seen. Don't worry Mom, the sun burn isn't that bad. 
     We knocked on a door of an investigator and a little chunky kid answered the door. As any 4 or 5 year old would do, before we entered the house he yelled at us, "Donde esta mi chocolate?!" With his hands now on his hips to ensure that we knew he meant business he repeated himself, "Wheres my chocolate?!" Before I could think of anything my companion pointed at me and said, "He has it!" I didn't. For a brief moment I thought a WWE fight was about to begin on this kind family's front porch but the sister came to my rescue and told her brother to leave us alone. We taught the parents in their room in safety where the dad was laying down. He had an injury in construction and cant stand up for extended periods of time for a couple months. We taught them earlier that week and she was going to pray. We followed up and she was about to begin when their son ran in with a toy phone and handed it to my companion. They got him out of the room and the same thing happened. He ran in at the moment before she started. Then we asked again and she said she had and she felt something. She had felt the Spirit and told us it felt like peace. We are still working with some of their questions but we are excited to see them progress.  
     We visited a man who will be baptized in two weeks named J. There was a problem when he was born and so he walks with a walker and his speech is slurred. It was a little difficult to understand his Spanish but we had a good lesson with him. I asked him why he wanted to be baptized and he said it was because of what he felt. He said every Sunday when he comes to church, he can feel paz y descanso, or peace and rest. In spite of his physically challenges and social challenges with the opposition of his family he wants to be baptized.
     I am so grateful for the peace we can feel in our lives and I know it is available for all of us when we need it.
Thanks for you help and prayers and support!
adios,
Elder Thomas 

No comments:

Post a Comment