Monday, March 9, 2015

"Can We Help You with Anything Today?"

March 6, 2014 ~ Opening mission call.  What a year!

"Can we help you with anything today?"....This simple phrase took on a whole new meaning. I asked it to a family I have known since I came here and they usually say no. But this day they were feeling willing, or maybe just were feeling to mess with the missionaries, but they allowed this skinny white kid from Utah to help with something way out of his skills set: fixing a broken water pipe. The following day, I crawled about twenty yards underneath a home through cobwebs and insulation in a space a little taller than your microwave. Upon arriving at the desired location my eyes beheld the pipe. Wrapped in several things. Electrical tape, duct tape, plumping tape and 'as seen on TV' sealant. It didn't hold. Now, here I place a phrase from the white hand book that normally I didn't look at too much. It says, "don't begin projects that could take too much time to complete". After about three hours of cutting and taping those words entered my mind. After about five hours my arms were cramping and my legs shivering as the water dripped off the leaky toilet pipe. We worked for a while on that blasted pipe and the finally score of the match was, Elder Thomas, 0, Hot Water Pipe, 3. They felt bad about me working on it so around hour 4, they made some tacos and we had a little lesson as we ate tacos. I was underneath the floor boards yelling about the Book of Mormon and one of the English elders above talking with the kids about Moroni. The tacos were good even though the 'as seen on TV' sealant dripped on them a little but the English elders are going back to take it on for the finally time. I will let you know of the results.

We taught one of our older investigator's mothers and she is from Mexico. I told her the Book of Mormon was hers after we discussed it with her, she looked at me and was so happy and grateful. These people out her have nothing and sometimes I am not nearly as thankful as I need to be. It was a good eye opener.

I heard about Lisa Bigelow and was really sad, she was a great lady and I am grateful that she prayed for me a lot. She will be missed. 

thanks for your prayers and support it helps a lot!  
I love you all!
Love, 
Elder Thomas
Our dear friends Don and Lisa Bigelow.  Taken the day of Ian's farewell.

   

No comments:

Post a Comment