Monday, March 23, 2015

The Cattleford of Kintail

Elder Thomas will miss working with Elder McKenzie!

The title is a Celtic song that has recently been played very often, due to the purchase of some instrumental music in the St. Patricks day spirit, dont worry it is approved. It is a mix between instrumental bagpipes and music from every parents' favorite video game, Minecraft. Go look it up. 
     I have much to cover and little time. I leaving the land of my mission birth and am headed to Tulsa, the big city. I will miss Aurora. It is like going on my mission again. Leaving many friends and having many pictures taken of me. Aurora in another language means the dawn. As I look back on my experiences here, not only has this area been the dawn of my mission, but it has really been the dawn of my life. I have learned so much, from my testimony of the gospel to how to be a better Spanish speaker and how to fix hot water pipes, or attempt to. I will miss this place dearly, but I believe I will be back. 
     And it was a Sunday. The clouds covered the green landscape of a place that smelled of goose droppings and Mexican laundry detergent. (Mission Tip #39: Never attempt to provoke a goose, those things can kill.)   It was the house we had gone to last week. This week something similar happened, but better. We began teaching three people, then the family arrived slowly but surely. Three, then five, then ten, then twenty, and they all were listening. The room was full of hushed voices mumbling as we reached the story of the First Vision. I prayed that they could feel the Spirit in the midst of the noise. Before Elder McKenzie said Joseph Smith's words, I jumped in and said, 'What happens next is something we think of as very sacred and special.' In anticipation, the room quieted. The words of Joseph Smith were recited by my companion; the whole room was filled with the unseen, unheard power. The Spirit touched us all. At the end we  handed a paper around and got the numbers and addresses of the family members and promised to visit back again every Sunday.  
     A woman we are teaching is about to be baptized. I wanted to be sure that she was really excited about it and not just trying to be nice. Recent lessons had shown total commitment, which is questionable and uncommon. So I asked her with a doubtful conscience, "Do you believe Joseph Smith was a prophet?" She nodded. I said "Do you believe the Book of Mormon is true?" She nodded. And then, pointing to my nametag, I asked her "Do you believe that this church is the church of Jesus Christ?" The Spirit filled the room, and she looked up at us and said "Yes". It was powerful and she knows it is true.
     This mission is the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. I would strongly advise all to go on a mission, not to convert thousands or just make friends in other lands far or near, but just to convert yourself and find true joy. Jesus Christ lives and Heavenly Father loves all of you, even if you mess up Spanish and accidentally ask a woman if her wife is home. He still loves you. Our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ will always love you.

Thank you so much for your prayers and support, I love you all!
Elder Thomas






Pizza Picnic in the Park with the wonderful Nield family!






He still has his photo bomber technique.

Saying good-bye to the wonderful Nield family who have become close friends to Elder Thomas.

No comments:

Post a Comment