Monday, March 16, 2015

The Sunday Brunch with a Hispanic Family

Springfield, MIssouri Zone Converence. Ian is seventh over from the right in the middle section. (In a green tie.)
This story illustrates well the culture I am in. We had a set appointment with a man we just met two days prior. The only thing he knew about us was that we had a message about Christ and that I had lied about being from Mexico. We showed up after church and not only was his wife there, but also her sister, all their children, grandchildren and many other members of this lively family. The wife, Francesa, could be well described by Delmar in my favorite movie: "[She's] a live wire, ain't [she]?"She gave us an off brand of  Sprite and proceeded to invite me and my companion to her home in Mexico and and introduced us to everyone. We talked about the Gospel for a while to which they responded often. In the full house we tried to explain how Heavenly Father loves them but it was a little difficult. After a difficult lesson, she invited my companion, the more attractive of the two of us, to date her daughter. So we left, feeling like Ammon of old, with another possible family to teach.
     
I've noticed many of my friends say they love their missions and the mission president's wife asks us all the time if we are having fun, I haven't really thought about it much until now. I have really come to love my mission. I saw my reflection in a window of a car and I almost didn't recognize the balding gentleman looking back at me. He was smiling so big but he had every reason to be miserable; away from family, no baptisms, forgot to buy bread and tired. I have never smiled more in my life. And I love Aurora almost more than pizza. Even though it is one of the few areas without a Little Caesar's super close, I love it. I love telling people about the reason I can smile even though the little kid at dinner put gluten free cake all over my dry clean only suit coat. (that cake I made for his sister's birthday! Yeah, Mom, I can cook now.) Accepting Christ in your life by following his example and keeping His commandments is the key to happiness and joy. I love this mission and I feel so loved and blessed by my Father in Heaven.
Thanks for the prayers and support! I love y'all!
Love,
Elder Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment